Thursday, August 24, 2006

Good friends, good weather, good golf

Today was absoultely wonderful. I am semi-retired and put in about 25 -30 hours a week consulting for the company where I was fomerly CTO. This summer, I've been taking Thursdays off pretty regularly to play golf. Well, today was about as good as it gets. It was in the low 70s, dry with sun and clouds. I played with three other members that I know well. One is a doctor, one a retired schoolteacher, and the third a priest. We played a two-dollar Nassau, the schoolteacher and I played the priest and the doctor. Sort of sounds like the beginning of joke, right? "A priest and a doctor are playing golf...." We halved the Nassau, although my partner and I ended one huge dollar up because he had an extra "dot". (A "dot" is an extra point you earn for a natural birdie, a "sandy" or a "greenie") I shot 89, which is pretty good for me, and I left at least three shots our there due to bad putts. But, all in all, a great day.

Afterwards, I sat in the bar for a couple of hours talking with one of our foursome, who happens to be an Episcopal priest at a local parish. He's an absolutely wonderful guy that I've come to know over this year. All you intolerant born-again types could take a lesson from Fr. Tony. Be thoughtful, humble and rational. Practice what you preach and don't be so damned full of yourself.

Here's to ye, lad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home